Diary of a Frustrated Nigerian Student

 

Diary of a Frustrated Nigerian Student


It's 10:15 am on a Wednesday morning

I'm trying to read, several books opened before me

I can barely afford to buy all my textbooks

So I'm stuck with the little I have

They say it's virtual learning but I can't remember the last time we had a lecture

We have three assignments; not like we were taught the topics but we're expected to submit an answer

I'm out of data and who knows what test they might have done

I see my mates; some have practically finished their course outlines and I'm still stuck in Chapter 1 of the few textbooks I have

Exams in a couple of days but I'll rather be doing something else

The system is designed to fail us, we all lament

Everyone's complaining while we should be reading

I don't know why I'm writing to you, I just needed to clear my head

Most of my friends call me scholar saying 'you've finished reading now, you be boss!' but I tell them no and yet they don't believe me.

Some people are already considering suicide

Some have dropped out

The pressure is too much; the school seems to have forgotten that students make up the school and they should be consulted before decisions are taken.

But some old men have taken it upon themselves to kill every bit of joy left in the students.

Everyone is tired but at the end, we really don't have a choice but to do what the system wants.

Oh well! Enough complaining

Time to get back to my reading

Adios!


©Babatunde Eunice 2021

All Rights Reserved

Black_ Christian

Picture Credit: ClipArt Library

Comments

  1. God is your strength always

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels like you saw through me...
    Especially that exams in a couple days but I'd rather do something else....
    Really nice oneeee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely said...captures the dilemma of most Nigerian tertiary students

    ReplyDelete
  4. Students/ learners are majority stakeholders of every learning institution and as such, their interests ought to be considered across all levels. But it's sad and strange that schooling in Nigerian public institutions is synonymous to suffering & frustration. Something is really, really wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire the fact that you channeled your frustration into doing something creative. This is commendable. Nice one Eunice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As difficult and sad as it seemed, little shimmers of hope like the morning flower ๐ŸŒธ will definitely sprout again. Well said eunice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're strengthened darling

    ReplyDelete
  8. This explains my frustrations in so many words. Let's get back to reading. Good job Eunice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done. I feel this way as well. What can we do but depend on our Helper and Father? Stay strong dear, lean on God . Keep being creative

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Some people are already considering suicide."
    Off your mic, boss. ๐Ÿ˜”

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice work Eunice. I really love it ๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete
  12. There isn't much any one can do about it , just the same old pattern and surviving till the final school year

    ReplyDelete
  13. Indeed! The typical struggles of a Nigerian student. We just have to keep pushing and pressing. I felt the same way when I was in school but one thing I always knew was that 'this phase would surely pass' and it did!
    Great piece Eunicimo. Keep writing and keep spreading hope๐Ÿ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sad reality. But with God's help we can still scale through and be exceptional in our academics. Read and pray. It is well

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts